Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The One that Got Away

It was vintage. 
Like the real kind of vintage.
Old, not new trying to be old.

Cherry red. Shiny. A basket on the front and the back.

It was perfect.

I've been wishing for a cruiser, vintage bike for a while now. Summer is here which means that cruisin' around the neighborhood is exactly what I want to be doing. I know vintage things are pretty trendy right now, especially vintage cruiser bikes, but seriously, this one bike was perfect!
~ ~ ~
I stumbled upon it one morning when I was going for an early morning walk with my fatty dog, Bear. The goal was to speed walk around the neighborhood before meeting up with a friend for lunch. At first, all I saw was a silly, old garage sale. I don't really garage sale much so I was a little annoyed by the extra traffic and people.

Dodging between people, dragging Bear behind me, I kept my eyes set on my destination. Home bound! It wasn't until I was almost rounding the corner that I saw it. The vintage, cherry bike just standing tall and strong on the corner of the garage sale lawn.

Hault! Double take. Pause.

Eh... it's probably too expensive, I thought and proceeded home.

I got ready to meet my friend and on my way there, I drove by the garage sale again. I couldn't get this bike out of my mind so I pulled over, contributing to the annoying traffic, and walked right up to the cherry red, beauty.

75$ Are you kidding me?! 75 dollars for this PERFECT bike?
The DEAL of a lifetime!

I wandered through the rest of the sale so as not to come across as too obsessive. For some reason, I felt a little creepy just standing there in awe of this bike. As I looped back around to the bike, there was an old man and his daughter checking out my bike. I overheard the daughter say, "I think this would be a great bike for you to ride, dad." The old man grumbled as he stroked the handlebars. I felt a little stalkerish watching this exchange so I did another loop. I checked out the sign that said, "CASH ONLY" and I realized, I couldn't even buy the bike if I wanted to. Who carries cash anymore?

After looping the garage sale for the third time, I talked myself out of the bike. I decided I would leave it to chance. If the bike was there when I returned, it was meant to be. I would get cash, just in case, but really it was best if the old man got the bike. Surely it would keep him healthy or something.

Later in the day I drove by the house, breath tight in my lungs, and then a long exhale. No bike. It wasn't meant to be.... or was it?

I still dream about that beautiful bike for 75 dollars. I think about the deal of a lifetime I missed out on because I wasn't brave enough to claim what I wanted. All I had to do was commit and say, "Heck YES I want this bike. It's perfect for me!"

To be honest, I think this happens more often then I want to admit. I ask and pray for good things, but when it's right in front of me, I rationalize it away. God says, "here Sheila, here is your dream bike. It is right here for you, all you have to do is say yes!" Instead, I stand there quietly, afraid to be brave enough to simply say, YES! Why am I so scared to say YES to great things and so I settle for good things instead? Is it just me? Am I the only one who has a hard time claiming greatness for my life?

It's not like I am without because I missed out on the deal of a lifetime. I already have a good bike, but I am missing out on riding a beautiful vintage bike with a cute little basket that was perfect for me.

I think more often than not, God longs to give us exactly what we hope and long for....

we are just too scared to say YES to greatness and we don't see it until it's no longer there.

No comments: