Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Whispers


There is a whisper in the air
It is subtle but harsh
Overbearing and without mercy
I try not to listen but it's loud
too loud
It speaks with stinging words 

You are different
You are alone
No one likes you
You are fat
Your wrinkles swallow your face
You aren't as young as you used to be
You aren't a good friend
or sister
or daughter
You aren't good at this or that
What is your purpose?
You aren't smart
or pretty
or brave
or wise
You disguise with fake confidence
You are too hard
 too soft
 too honest
 too much
You will never be what you hoped to be
You failed
No one cares
Really, no one cares
because you are not enough

It repeats and repeats 
like a low, base drum in my ear
I cry 
But before I can make sense of all the stinging 
another whisper drifts in
This one has a peaceful, sweet aroma
but it's harder for me to hear
There is an echoing kind of call 
I long to hear it
A melody that calms my spirit
It speaks with grace and love
but in the beginning it feels foreign
a language I cannot understand
 Then it slowly unravels its sweet sound

Stop listening to the pounding of the drum
It eats you alive
It sucks your life
My precious,
You are everything you were made to be
I repeat
You are everything you were made to be
Stop fretting
Stop doubting
You were made to be soft
and hard 
and honest
and too much
You were made to be misunderstood
and to stand alone sometimes
You were made to struggle 
and to be unsure
But never believe that you are not enough
One day you will see
You were made You on purpose
so listen carefully to my song
Do you hear my sweet melody?
Drown out any other whispers 
Trust me. Lean into me. 
Listen to the hums of the  light. 
You, alone, are enough.
Repeat after me,
You, alone, are enough.

No comments: