Pages

Monday, September 5, 2016

Eyes on the Ball (or frisbee)


Dogs.

Who doesn't love them?!

My dogs are like my children. I treat them like my children, too. I talk to them and when I say that, I mean I have full on conversations with them and I know they know what I'm saying. Some days they are precious and adorable and all I want to do is snuggle with them. Then there are the other days where they cause havoc on the house and their energy level outlasts mine for the entire evening. They are my joy and pain all in two little fur balls. I'm sure this is how moms of real humans feel except the older the real human gets, the more back talk there is and I guess there is probably more mess too.

Since I'm now in my 30s and still do not have children, it can be difficult, at times, to relate to my friends with kiddos... but thankfully, my dogs keep me dialed into the momma language, at least a little bit. (Okay, Okay, moms, I know it's not the same at all, but just let me go with it.)

My dog, Scout is quite the persistent little one. She is a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix. She has only one love in the entire world. Fetch.

She loves fetch so much that I swear she would play it until she fell over from exhaustion. She will lay outside with her balls and frisbees within paws reach and stare at the house for hours just waiting until the time comes where I give in to her love and throw the ball. There is nothing she loves more. Her focus is persistent and it doesn't change. Her entire life has been centered around her love for the game of fetch from puppy years on. She is made to move, run and love the game. Even as I write this, she sits waiting anxiously for the time to come. She never forgets her true love.
The other day I was throwing the ball for the 4th time that day and I started to think about it... she is dedicated and loyal and persistent to her one love.... It made me wonder: Has there ever been one thing that I have been completely persistent at? One thing that I have given my all to and never taken my eyes off of? One thing that I will sit there for hours, waiting for the time to be right, to do it or play it or give myself to it?

In a world that is ever changing: trading the old for new, swapping what's not cool for cool, or simply self-evolving for the next fad, I admire the persistence and focus of Scout. Her eyes are on the ball, no matter what.

I'm loyal to my family and those I love. I'm devoted to my faith. But sadly, I don't think I've had the same persistence to one hobby, craft, work or career. I want to find that same dedication. Obviously, Scout's a dog and I am not and there are many more variables at play in my life compared to a dog's, but the idea is there pushing me to find my focus, love, and passion for that one thing that takes my all. Nothing but my eyes on the ball (or frisbee).  
Photo cred: Michael Shaw

No comments: