Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Meditate.

I have been unable to sleep lately. I toss and turn, my mind running a million miles a minute, fretting and worrying over things I can't control or change.

Last night was one of those nights. After hours of not sleeping, when I really wish I was sleeping, I got up to go to the bathroom and regroup. As I walked down the hall, a soft whisper in my head said, "Meditate on my scripture, meditate on Proverbs 3:5-6." As I climbed back into bed, I closed my eyes and began to recite the verse that I had memorized so long ago. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your path straight."

The first few time I rambled off the verse hoping that I would quickly fall asleep, but after about the tenth time I began to focus on each word and the importance of it in my life. Trust....wow, something I obviously am not doing a very good job of if I am still awake fretting over the impossible. All... I am certainly not giving it ALL to Him...if I am still awake. Understanding... I can't even begin to understand, it is evident that my plans are not God's plans otherwise we wouldn't be living with my in laws (even though I do love them!).

I continued to meditate on each word, allowing myself to be refined by the Holy Spirit; to be disciplined, challenged, and renewed. To be honest, I don't remember if I was able to meditate on each word before I fell asleep. But I can say that I woke up this morning disciplined and ready to start again.

So the next time you can't sleep, try meditating on scripture. More likely than not, He will put you in your place and you will get a good nights sleep!

No comments: