Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Sometimes you just have to pass someone


I double checked my atlas, adjusted my GPS; ready. The two-lane, open road was in front of me -California bound! 12 hours of just the road and me, or so I thought. About an hour into my drive I came to a halt as an "oversized" truck hauling a house puttered down the road. The truck took up most of both lanes which made it very difficult to see around him. This made it even more difficult to pass the guy on highway in the middle of nowhere. I slowed down and told myself that it was much wiser to be 'safe than sorry'.

Safe than sorry turned into an hour of 50 miles an hour which wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that my foot really likes to do 80. By this point, I had a few cars lined up behind me and I felt the pressure to pass. If only I could see around the wide-load. It wasn't until a car 4 back decided to pass us all that I decided to muster up the guts to pass as well. I pushed the pedal to the floor and finally zoomed around. Awe! It felt good to pass the wide-load. The open road and I were one again.

It wasn't until a little later that it came to me: sometimes you just have to find the courage to pass people. I thought about how I could still be behind the wide-load, driving s.l.o.w, stressing over how fast I could be driving, and wishing I could see the beauty in front of me. I could have been stuck! Instead, by finding the courage to pass the truck, I got to my destination quicker and my entire perspective of the drive changed. I was free! I saw the beauty. I was on an adventure, not tainted by anyone.

On the rest of my drive, I wondered about how often we do this in life. We get stuck behind people that prevent us from getting to our destination, they taint our view and because of this, the perspective of our journey is much different than it could be...

All we need to do is find the courage to pass them.

No comments: