Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Philippines Part I: Brave


I thought I knew something about being brave. Growing up I always thought of myself as brave and adventurous ... until one day I woke up and found myself an adult. It seems like that was the day I started to worry about things that never mattered before. I started to jump out of fear when I heard stupid sounds at night like a dog howling down the street. Suddenly my life became about the things I couldn't do or shouldn't do. I heard myself say, "That's too dangerous!" or "....But what if...?" It became about the no's instead of the yes's and the "harsh realities" instead of the "dreaming".

In the last year I have found myself sifting through major life transitions and fear has played into almost every decision I have made: fear of failure, rejection, loneliness, being known, the list could go on and on. Yet, at the end of the day my fear has kept me from moving forward and isn't moving forward what life is all about? I was frozen; scared to move but also scared to be left behind.

Then God pushed me forward.

He started slowly.
He began pruning the dead friendships and bringing new ones (and old ones) to life. He pushed me to move forward with a new job, even though I never imagined being anything but a teacher. He introduced me to a new church. He was slowly fleshing out my life which forced me to move forward, even in my fear.

Then he did something a little more drastic.
He sent me half way around the world to a place where the ultimate lesson in bravery and hope changed my heart forever.

Destination: The Philippines.

I have heard it said that movement is life. When I think about this, I can't help but think that bravery is what gives us movement. So let me tell you my stories about how the Philippines taught me about bravery and how it moved me and gave me life.

No comments: