Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

30

July 4, 1983 -That's my birthday. It's kind of a big one this year; moving from my 20s to 30s -like moving from barely an adult to a "legit" adult. So legit that my student said the other day, "well just think of it this way, I'm half your age!"

A big birthday comes and I can't help but reflect...

There is a part of me that feels like I haven't accomplished as much as I thought I would. I don't own a home. I don't have kids. I haven't gone back to school for a master's degree. And so I think, gosh I have a lot to do in my 30s.

Then there is this voice in the back of my head that reminds me of all the people I have met along the way and all the places I have gone. The voice reminds me that life is simply a big story that God weaves together; friendships, circumstances, life lessons, hardships, blessings, careers, and amazing experiences - all of this is brought together to mold us into who we will be and to draw us closer to Him. It's not about when we get from one chapter to the next, but rather, how we get from one chapter to the next and who helps us get there.

So as my birthday comes and goes, I will think about all of you friends and family who have been a part of my life, perhaps for just a season or for multiple. You have taught and shown me who I am. Also, whether you know it or not, you have helped me to learn more about God.

In essence, you have made and are still making my life.

I may not have accomplished as much as I would have wished, but my life is full and colored because of incredible friends and family.

Thankful for you,
S




No comments: