Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sisterhood

I had the opportunity to guest write on my sister's blog. She asked me to write about sisterhood. Here's a section of my writing.
~ ~ ~
Mandy asked me to write a “guest post” for her blog on sisterhood and what it means to me. To be honest, when she first asked me to write this post, I wasn’t really sure what to say. I mean, yes sisterhood is a wonderful gift but what is there to write about?

So after months of procrastination, I finally forced myself to sit down and reflect. Here are my thoughts on what sisterhood means to me.
 
1. My sister’s friendship is constant.
No matter how much of the raw me my sister sees…
No matter the opinions we agree with or disagree with…
No matter the thousands of miles apart or the different seasons of life we are in…
No matter the hurt feelings, the unspoken competition, the awkward family dinners…
No matter what…
We are sisters. We are friends. We are constant.



2. We testify to the growth and change in each other from childhood to adulthood. 
My sister and I were very different growing up. She was rather boy(ish) –playing soccer, getting in the mud, running around with my brother. As she ran around in her cut off T-shirts, boy shorts, and way too short of a haircut, I wanted so badly to pierce her ears. I thought that would at least distinguish her as a girl. She was fearless and she didn’t care about what others thought of her. Me, on the other hand, I was bratty, spoiled, bossy, and a know-it-all. I was the older sister that always got her way and that had to be the best at everything. I cared way too much of what others thought of me. Needless to say, Mandy and I were as opposite as we could get and that clashed between us for years. We were not friends. We could barely carry out a normal conversation. It wasn’t until Mandy moved away to college that we met each other again. We began to get to know the new us. We set aside of what we knew about the old sister and we began a process of meeting the new sister. Today we both can look back at who we were 20 years ago and we can share the ways in which we’ve seen each other grow and change and become new people. It will be interesting in another 20 years to see how we have changed again, but just as sisters do, we will be there (God willing) to say, “Hey, remember when you used to be like that?! Gosh how you have changed.”

Please check out her blog to see the full piece.

 
 

No comments: