Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Journeying to the Philippines

"Sheila, you need to do something big this year. Something that matters outside of yourself." The voice of a good friend echoed in my thoughts as I hiked one afternoon. There had been this wrestling in me over the last few months. I knew I needed to experience something new; to serve others instead of focusing on my own failures and missteps. I hiked a little further and kept searching, what is it? What is that something big? God, take me beyond myself...  Then it came as clear as if someone spoke it to me:

Philippines. Kenny. Wipe Every Tear. Go.

In that moment, I knew I was going. I knew it was exactly what God wanted for me. I knew that it would breathe new life into me; God's life. I didn't know the timing or the logistics. I didn't know the girls or the team I would go with, but I knew. I was going.

~ ~ ~
 
Last night I met the team I will be serving along side.
 
 
We are a team of 18 girls, ranging from high schoolers to adult women. We come from all over the country with one common goal: serve girls who desperately need love. We leave May 26th, just 70 some days away and we will be gone for 2 weeks. We will work with Wipe Every Tear who helps to provide a hope and a future for girls who have been trapped in sex trafficking. We have the unique opportunity to take 50+ of these hurt girls on a "girls getaway" where we hope to build trust, love, and relationships with them. Trust is the most important bond we could develop with them. A "girls getaway" for trafficked girls has never been done before! Ever. We are going into uncharted territory and yet, we are hopeful that this could be the beginning of something globally changing. 


As you can imagine, we are all trusting God to provide for the finances for such a giant trip. The total cost of my trip, including airfare is $3,500. A portion of the cost of my trip helps to fund the trafficked girls to be able to go on the "getaway" trip. If you would like to partner with me financially or want to know specific ways you can be praying for us as we prepare for this trip, please email me at ssharpmack@hotmail.com or Facebook message me. I would love to share more details with you!

No comments: