Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Prayer

Prayer. It has been on my mind a lot lately. Mostly, I have been challenged. To be honest, I am quite bad at it; praying that is. More specifically, I am bad at believing in the power of prayer. I pray often and about so many things, yet if I am honest with myself, I must admit that there is a small speck of me that doubts...so the question is, do I believe that prayer makes a difference? Do I truly believe in the words from Ephesians 3:20, "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think according to the power that works in us..." If I did claim that truth then I know my prayer life would look much different.



I am reminded of other major religions that are faithful to the act of praying. They pray for extended periods of time, often stopping their daily routine to pray before their Gods. -They must believe or they wouldn't devote so much time to the action. They are fully devoted. It is with this thought that makes me wonder how devoted am I? How devoted are western, American Christians, who have direct access to the one and only God? Do we truly believe in the power of prayer in our lives?



Perhaps this is just an internal struggle that I am having, but it makes me wonder how many Christians are out there that are faithful believers and yet, are dry and full of doubt when it comes to their prayer life and they are too scared to fully admit it to themselves or others.

Prayer. Another challenge from God. "Sheila, do you truly believe, as you speak to me, that I am listening and I am doing (and will do) much more than you could ever imagine or request?"

No comments: